Got Any Ideas?

Got Any Ideas?

If you want to suggest a recipe for me to try, just email me at cookingginger@hotmail.com and I'll give it a whirl!
ps: put the subject title as Cooking Ginger and then the title of your recipe. I have been getting a lot of spam and it would be nice to know what ISN'T spam :)

Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Apple Sauce

I went apple picking on the weekend with some friends and came home with mass amounts of apples and had to do something with them! With some of them, I made apple sauce :) IN THE SLOW COOKER! Man I love the slow cooker.

The Recipe:
4 apples - peeled, cored and chopped
3/4 cup water (or apple juice)
1/4 cup white sugar
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon

1. In a saucepan, combine apples, water, sugar, and cinnamon.
2. Cover, and cook over medium heat for 15 to 20 minutes, or until apples are soft.
3. Allow to cool, then mash with a fork or potato masher.

OR

1. Combine apples, water, sugar, and cinnamon in slow cooker.
2. Cook on high for 2-3 hours.

My Experience:
So I went with the slow cooker version (obviously!). But I also doubled the recipe and instead cooked it for about 4 hours. I just checked the apples after 4 hours and they seemed mushy enough to me.

I also used apple juice instead of water. I saw it in a different recipe. I don't know if it was because of the apple juice or not, but it honestly looked too liquidy when I first started mashing. BUT after allowing it to chill in the fridge overnight, it was less liquidy.

For the sugar quantity. I think it totally depends on A) your tastes and B) the kind of apples you use. If you use a sweeter apple, you don't need so much sugar. If you use a sour apple, you might want more. I, personally, like sugar so I stuck to the recipe.

Turned out really good and I would love to try it next with strawberries or something else in with the apples to give it that extra flavour :)

The Ratings:
My rating: 10/10

No comments:

Post a Comment