Got Any Ideas?

Got Any Ideas?

If you want to suggest a recipe for me to try, just email me at cookingginger@hotmail.com and I'll give it a whirl!
ps: put the subject title as Cooking Ginger and then the title of your recipe. I have been getting a lot of spam and it would be nice to know what ISN'T spam :)

Sunday, December 19, 2010

Lemon Sugar Cookies

I like lemon, I like sugar cookies... so I figured these would be a good choice for Christmas cookies :) The recipe is from the Holiday Cheer edition of Good Housekeeping magazine.

The Recipe:
1 1/5 cups (3 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
1 cup sugar
1 large egg
2 1/2 teaspoon lemon extract
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon salt
4 cups all-purpose flour

1. In a large bowl, beat butter and sugar until fluffy. Beat in egg, lemon and vanilla extracts, and salt.

2. With a mixer on low speed, beat in flour in 2 additions until blended.

3. Divide dough into thirds; shape each into a disk and wrap in plastic wrap. Refrigerate until firm enough to roll, about 2 hours.

4. Preheat over to 350F.

5. Roll 1 piece of dough at a time, on a lightly floured surface with a floured rolling pin, 10 1/4-inch thickness.

6. Cut out desired shapes with cookie cutters; re-roll scraps.

7. Place 1 1/2 inches apart on ungreased cookie sheets.

8. Bake 8 to 10 minutes, or until golden. Cool on wire racks. Decorate as you like using ornamental frosting.



My Experience:
So I've discovered I don't like rolling dough! It's an unnecessary pain. Next time I'll just do them as mostly drop cookies with a few cutouts so that they are pretty.

Other than that, they were pretty simple and straight-forward to make. And best part, they are yummy :)

This recipe makes about 6 dozen depending on the size of your cutouts.

I will soon be posting the frosting recipe that I used from the same magazine so keep an eye out for that.

The Ratings:
Joelle's rating: 9/10
My rating: 9/10 for taste, 6/10 for pain in the ass due to rolling!

No comments:

Post a Comment