Got Any Ideas?

Got Any Ideas?

If you want to suggest a recipe for me to try, just email me at cookingginger@hotmail.com and I'll give it a whirl!
ps: put the subject title as Cooking Ginger and then the title of your recipe. I have been getting a lot of spam and it would be nice to know what ISN'T spam :)

Monday, May 14, 2012

Breakfast Burritos

Made these for supper but good nonetheless! Once again, this lovely recipe is from Best Recipes Ever. Man I love that show!

The Recipe:
12 oz Italian sausages
12 eggs
1/4 tsp pepper
1 pinch salt
1 cup shredded old cheddar cheese
1/4 cup chopped fresh coriander
6 large flour tortillas
2 cups mild salsa
1 half sweet green peppers, diced

1. With tip of knife, slit casing down length of sausage; push meat into large skillet. 

2. Cook over medium-high heat, breaking up with spoon, for about 5 minutes or until no longer pink; drain off fat.

3. Lightly beat together eggs, pepper and salt ; pour into pan with sausage and cook until beginning to set. 

4. Gently draw spatula across bottom of pan to form large soft curds; cook for about 3 minutes or until eggs are thickened and moist but no visible liquid remains. 

5. Stir in half each of the cheese and coriander.

6. Spoon egg mixture down centre of each tortilla; top with 2 tbsp of the salsa. 

7. Roll up. Arrange, seam side down, in greased 13- x 9-inch glass baking dish. 

8. Sprinkle remaining cheese down centre of tortillas. 

9.  Bake in 400°F oven for 10 to 15 minutes or until heated through. (Make-ahead: Cover and refrigerate for up to 1 day; increase baking time by 10 to 15 minutes.)

10. Meanwhile, stir green pepper and remaining coriander into remaining salsa. Serve with burritos.

My Experience:
So I didn't quite follow this recipe exactly. 

1: I used ground pork instead of sausages because, well, the pork was on sale. Who can pass up a sale? It probably would have been that much better with the sausage because those have tons of spices already in it, but oh well. (By the way, you can also use either mild or hot sausages or try bratwurst, farmer's or breakfast sausages instead of the Italian if you want.)

2: I also used a panini press instead of baking it because I figured that would be easier for me. 

3: So since I did that, I did not sprinkle the remaining cheese on the top (that would have made a big mess). Instead, I added the cheese to the burritos before I rolled them up to melt in the panini press.

4: I also didn't have any coriander on hand so I didn't put any in and it still tasted great. 

5: I used marble cheddar cheese, not old. Because that is what I had (why buy more?)

6: Finally, I used red peppers instead of green because I had some left over from a meal a few days ago and I wanted to get rid of it.  

Wow it really looks like I didn't follow this recipe at all lol! But the main ingredients were there: pork, eggs, cheese, tortillas.

Sam added some hot sauce to his because, to be honest, he adds hot sauce to everything. All in all, this was a very good and fairly quick meal. For extra taste, you can top your burrito with guacamole and/or sour cream.

No comments:

Post a Comment