Got Any Ideas?

Got Any Ideas?

If you want to suggest a recipe for me to try, just email me at cookingginger@hotmail.com and I'll give it a whirl!
ps: put the subject title as Cooking Ginger and then the title of your recipe. I have been getting a lot of spam and it would be nice to know what ISN'T spam :)

Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Mushroom Pork Chops

Mom always used to make something similar but I stepped it up a notch.

The Recipe:
4 pork chops
4 cloves chopped garlic
1 onion, chopped
1/2 pound fresh mushrooms, sliced (which is one of the little blue containers, 227g)
1 can condensed cream of mushroom soup
1/2 can of milk
Fresh terragon
Fresh ground pepper
salt and pepper to taste
flour

1. Season pork chops with salt and pepper to taste.

2. In a large skillet, saute half the garlic in olive oil. Add the pork chops and brown over medium-high heat. Remove from skillet.

3. Saute the onion, mushrooms and garlic (other half) in olive oil.

4. In a bowl, whisk soup and milk. Add a bit of terragon and pepper.

5. Return chops to skillet. Pour soup mix over chops. Cover, reduce temperature to medium-low.

6. Simmer 20 to 30 minutes, or until chops are cooked through.

7. Once chops are removed, whisk a bit of flour into the sauce to make a thicker gravy. (optional)


My Experience:
The only part that I did not follow, were the last two steps. While cooking, I realized that the only skillet I have with a lid was not nearly large enough to cook everything in. Instead, I placed some of the sauteed mushroom mixture in a roast pan, placed the chops on the bed of mushrooms, covered with the remaining mushrooms, and finally topped with the soup mix. I covered the pan with aluminum foil, sealing tightly. I baked in the oven at 350 for 30 minutes. Turned out very well!

I served this meal with white rice, which you can top wonderfully with the gravy. It would also be good with mashed potatoes or noodles. I didn't serve any other vegetables because I figured the mushrooms were enough. You can of course serve it with something else.

Hope you like it if you try it because we all liked it (even the cat who got some of the left overs).

No comments:

Post a Comment